ONE Contract with Deaf Well Being Program, 300-4211 Kingsway, Burnaby, B.C.
~ up to 20 hours per month, 6 month contract with potential to renew
Job Description: Under the supervision of the Program Coordinator and staff, you will work with deaf, hard of hearing or deafblind clients in the Okanagan area who have mental illness with the objective of assisting them to achieve their stated goals. You will travel to meet clients to provide services. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgment and good interpersonal skills. Duties include one-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goal(s) that are agreed upon by the supervisor and client. You will assist client to acquire new skills or linking with community resources; communicating all relevant information to pertinent staff; and attending bi-monthly peer support worker meetings when required.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- Have completed 80 hours of Peer Support Training and a 30 hour Practicum.
- Have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required)
- Be able to be a role model to deaf, hard of hearing or hard of hearing recovering from a mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information.
- Have effective strategies for dealing with stress.
- Be able to work cooperatively with mental health staff, consumers and family members
- Be able to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Be fluent in American Sign Language.
- Be able to adequately access public transportation.
- Be able to present in a professional manner, and
- Be empathetic, patient, and supportive.
Duration of this Placement: 6 Months, with potential to renew.
Pay and Hours: $12.00 an hour, up to 20 hours maximum a month (including meetings).
Start Date: TBA
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a resume and a cover letter before November 15 to:
Peer Support Program at
Deaf Well Being Program,
Burnaby, B.C. V5H 1Z6
Fax: 604 456 0904 or