PROFESSIONAL INTERPRETER FOR HORNBY ISLAND DEAF YOUTH AND FAMILY CAMP
Facilitates communication between hearing and deaf or hard of hearing individuals in the camp environment. Will be working as a mentor to first year volunteer student interpreters. Will work closely with the camp coordinators to ensure that all of the needs of the staff and campers are met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• May be asked to provide sign-language interpreter services during a variety of daily and evening camp activities
• Helps the camp coordinator create volunteer student interpreter schedules and breaks to cover all camp activities.
• Main role will be to ensure appropriate guidance and mentorship to all volunteer student interpreters throughout the camp during activities.
• Must follow DYT policy and procedures as outlined in the manual.
• Must conduct daily debrief session(s) with the student interpreters.
• Must show flexibility with daily schedule and request from the Camp Coordinator.
• Works directly under the Camp Coordinator/s
• Interpreter Certification with WAVLI
Additional Skills or Requirements that are beneficial
• 4 plus years experience in the Interpreting field
• Holds RID Certification and / or seeking opportunities to complete Continuing Education Units
• Medical Interpreter Services (preference)
• Flexible with schedule changes. Works well with others and has good communication skills.
• June 28th to July 9th
• Honorarium will be given (amount will be discussed at interview)
• Charitable Tax receipt can also be available
General All Interpreters will have transportation covered when traveling with DYT
All Accommodations will be covered (Interpreters need to bring some sleeping gear)
All Food will be covered when eating with DYT.
Terry and Andrea Maloney
Contact Phone and email
Job Application Deadline
May 5, 2015