Have you checked out information about the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) yet? You can find out more about RDSP’s at your local bank, but here is a great ASL video explaining about RDSP’s provided by Desjardins Financial Security.
ASL Video: http://www.h3networkmedia.com/rdsp_227.htm (7.29 minutes – video is made by Slava Klimov)
Canada is the first country in the world to have a Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP). The RDSP will present families with a way to provide for the future financial security of their loved ones with disabilities. An estimated 500,000 people across Canada will benefit from this initiative, and future impacts of the RDSP go well beyond a simple planning tool.
To be eligible for the Registered Disability Savings Plan, you must:
1) Make sure you or your relative qualify for the Disability Tax Credit;
2) Be a Canadian Resident and have a valid Social Insurance Number;
3) Be under 60 years of age;
4) If your child is under age 18, make sure you sign up for the Canada Child Tax Benefit;
5) File a tax return for two years prior (to receive the Grant and Bond)
For more information, contact:
Bus: (416) 297-1766 Fax: (416) 297-6015 TTY: (416) 297-6093
Toll Free: 1-888-288-4140
Desjardins Financial Security Website: www.dfsin.ca