PEER SUPPORT WORKER:
NOTICE OF CONTRACT
Three Contracts with the Deaf Well-Being Program.
~each contract will be for 20 hours per month, 3 month temporary; leading to a 6 month contract.
Job Description: Under the supervision of the Program Coordinator and staff, and in conjunction with treatment personnel, you will work with Deaf, Deaf-Blind or Hard of Hearing clients with the objective of assisting them to achieve their stated goals. The successful candidates will be well-organized individuals who exhibit initiative, flexibility, sound judgement and good interpersonal skills. Duties include one-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goal(s), acquiring new skills or linking with community resources; communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff; and attending monthly peer support worker meetings, at the team or unit and centrally.
Qualifications: The successful individuals must be fluent in Sign Language and understand Deaf culture; and will:
- have completed a Peer Support Training program or have equivalent training or experience
- have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required)
- be able to be a role model to people recovering from a serious mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information
- have effective strategies for dealing with stress
- be able to work cooperatively with mental health staff, consumers and family members
- be able to work with a culturally diverse population
- be willing to respect other people’s right to decline assistance
- be able to adequately access public transportation,
- be able to present in a professional manner, and
10. be empathetic, patient and supportive.
Duration of these Placements: 3 Months, temporary, leading to a 6 month contract.
You are not required to work at the team or unit where you receive service.
Pay and Hours: $11.00 an hour, up to 20 hours maximum a month (including meetings).
Start Date: ASAP
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a resume and a cover letter to:
Deaf Well Being Program
#300 4211 Kingsway,
Burnaby, BC, V5H 1Z6.
No later than February 26, 2010