Established in 1956, the Western Institute for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (WIDHH) is a unique charity serving the needs of Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals throughout British Columbia. Our Agency provides services in Audiology, Employment Counselling, Seniors Outreach, Sign Language Interpreting and Communication Devices. We offer a competitive salary and benefits, a friendly and dynamic work environment, and a chance to make a difference.
Our Interpreting Department is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the following position:
Part-time, one-year contract
June 18, 2018 to June 14, 2019
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for assisting the Head of Interpreting Services with administrative tasks (power point presentations, scheduling, department operations) and providing team support to the Medical Interpreting Services (MIS) Dispatcher and Community Interpreting Services (CIS) Coordinator. On-site training will be provided for the selected candidate.
- Assists with management of online database/scheduling/invoicing of regular and on-call interpreting bookings
- Schedules and arranges presentations and workshops
- Reception duties, including answering requests via email, text, skype, facetime, voice phone, TTY, and fax
- Assists with drop in clients for English-ASL translation of documents
- Supports clients on use of video relay services
- Provides data entry support for MIS and CIS
- Must be fluent in American Sign Language (ASL)
- Minimum two years client service experience with the public, Deaf, Deaf-Blind and/or hard of hearing individuals preferred
- In-depth sensitivity and knowledge about Deaf culture, Deaf-Blind needs, and the communication modalities of hard of hearing individuals
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Responsible and positive work attitude
- Organized with excellent attention to detail
- Presents professionally and is respectful of confidentiality requirements of position
Application deadline: June 11, 2018.
Priority consideration will be given to qualified applicants who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing.
Please reply in confidence with cover letter and resume to: