Established in 1956, the Western Institute for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (WIDHH) is a unique charity serving the needs of Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals throughout British Columbia. Our Agency provides services in Audiology, Employment Counselling, Seniors Outreach, Sign Language Interpreting and Communication Devices.
Our agency is current seeking a qualified candidate for the following position:
Head of Interpreting Services (full-time, permanent positionJ
– Post-secondary experience in the interpreting field as a Deaf Interpreter, preferred
– Evidence of active membership and participation within culturally Deaf community
– Demonstrated sensitivity to working in a culturally diverse environment
– Native expressive and receptive ASL skills required
– Strong understanding of the Deaf Community and its needs
– Ability to facilitate communication in any work environment with hearing interpreters and deaf people simultaneously present
– Innovative problem-solver, with a creative interest in program development
– Effective public presentation skills
– Strong written communication skills and proficiency in various computer programs
– Experience or ability to prepare grant proposals
– Experience in budget management and program development preferred
– Interest in emerging technologies and practices for interpreting/real-time captioning services
– Good organizational skills; able to work well independently Interested applicants are requested to forward their cover letter, resume and list of references by Monday,
February 26th, 2018. Priority consideration will be given to qualified applicants who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing.
Please reply in confidence to: Grace Shyng, Acting Executive Director
Western Institute for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing 2125 West 7th Avenue, Vancouver, BC. V6K 1X9 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 604-736-4381
For more information and to find out how to apply, please visit: http://www.widhh.com/about-us/careers.