SEEKING DEAFBLIND PEER SUPPORT WORKER
ONE Contract with Deaf Well Being Program, 4211 Kingsway, Burnaby, B.C.
~ 20 hours per month, 6 month contract with potential to renew
Job Description: Under the supervision of the Program Coordinator and staff, you will work with deaf blind clients who have varying degrees of mental illness with the objective of assisting them to achieve their stated goals. You will work with staff during deafblind workshops as team leader to coordinate services for deaf blind clients. The successful candidate will be a well-organized deafblind individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgment and good interpersonal skills. Duties include one-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goal(s), acquiring new skills or linking with community resources; communicating all relevant information to pertinent staff; and attending monthly peer support worker meetings.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- have completed a Peer Support Training program.
- have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required)
- be able to be a role model to deaf and deafblind recovering from a mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information
- have effective strategies for dealing with stress
- be able to work cooperatively with mental health staff, consumers and family members
- be able to work with a culturally diverse population
- be fluent in American Sign Language and Tactile signing with Deafblind.
- be able to adequately access public transportation
- be able to present in a professional manner, and
- be empathetic, patient and supportive.
Duration of these Placements: 6 Months, with potential to renew.
Pay and Hours: $12.00 an hour, up to 20 hours maximum a month (including meetings).
Start Date: TBA
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a resume and a cover letter before June 15 to:
Peer Support Program
Deaf Well Being Program
#300 4211 Kingsway
Burnaby, B.C. V5H 1Z6
You can Fax to 604 456 0904.
Do Not Send EmaiL
TEXT ONLY FILE – Automatically downloads (click here) MS WORD doc