Vancouver YOUTH Food Policy Council
Basis of Unity & Open House
ASL INTERPRETERS PROVIDED
Friday June 16th, 2017 from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
Broadway Youth Resource Centre, Culture and Justice Rooms
2455 Fraser Street, Vancouver BC
The VYFPC recognizes that we are uninvited settlers occupying the unceeded terretories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Watuth peoples. We are commited to unpacking the ways in which colonization still exists in our communities and food systems, and how food can be used as a colonial tool for control and division, compromising people’s relationships to food and the land.
The Vancouver Youth Food Policy Council is holding an open house to present the VYFPC Basis of Unity Working Document and recruit new members!
5:30pm – eat dinner together
6:00pm – opening / acknowledging territory / setting up intent of the evening
6:30pm- introducing our Basis of Unity (handouts) and soliciting feedback, possible break out groups for discussion
8:00pm – 8:30pm end
The basis of unity is a document to:
– Ground members in the overall purpose , vision, and mission of the VYFPC
– Help new members develop a clearer understanding of how and why VYFPC operates
– Provide new members to reevaluate the original purpose, vision and mission of VYFPC should conflict occur and/or the needs of the community shift and change.
Youth and youth allies are welcome to:
– Examine and provide feedback to the Basis of Unity working document
– Share what food issues are important to them
– Learn more about joining the council
Dinner and refreshments will be provided. Please notify us if you want dinner in the RSVP.
Please RSVP to email@example.com if you are attending and have any accessibility needs.
– ASL Interpretation has been secured. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require ASL Interpretation by Monday, June 13th 2017.
– The space is wheelchair accessible and the washroom is too.
– There is 1 gender neutral washroom that is single stall and wheelchair accessible
– We ask folks to come to the space scent-free/refraining from wearing scented products the day before and during the event
– Wi-Fi exists within the center; if EMF radiation makes events inaccessible for you please contact organizers at email@example.com
– Best transit routes: From Commercial-Broadway Skytrain Station, take the 9 Alma or 99 UBC down to Fraser Street