ASL Signing Home and Community Support Workers (part time 4 to 24 hours per week @ $14 – $17 per hour)
Our non-profit Microboard society is looking for one or two part-time home and community support workers who communicate fluently in ASL and live on Vancouver Island. You will join our team approach to supporting a Deaf individual who resides in Duncan, BC. We are looking for team members who:
- will combine in-person support, video conferencing (via ooVoo) support, with phone/fax/emails.
- have healthy boundaries, strong compassionate communication skills and a warm sense of humour.
- enjoy building relationships with others that are relaxed, compassionate, low-key, and tactful.
- enjoy supporting others to to experience safety, respect, choice, and confidence in successfully, enjoyably and “inter-dependently” living their lives.
- are solution focused, organized, and skilled in home and community support work
The individual we support lives independently in his own home with support from (1) a caring neighbour who lives nearby and (2) 4 to 6 hours of support per day (mostly afternoons and evenings). This individual receives support from several part time support workers who sign ASL and are skilled at supporting in the ways described above. You will have your own car and a safe driving history. You will come to Duncan 1 or more times per week for positive and enjoyable visits focusing on supporting the individual to:
- stay organized in carrying out daily routines and daily challenges involved in household organizing and tidying, meal planning and preparation, grocery shopping, cooking and baking, email, keeping the calendar up to date, banking, errands, shopping, and participating in community activities such as art lessons.
- carry out healthy living routines at home and in the community aimed at increasing relaxation, increasing positive communication, and manage anxiety, chronic pain and other minor health challenges
- communicate with hearing people who do not sign
- one or two Saturdays/Sundays each month, you will invite this individual to come with you on weekends to Deaf and Hearing community events or out with friends/families for enjoyable non-alcohol social/recreational/leisure pastimes.
- The caring neighbour goes away about once a month and so team members occasionally stay overnight in her home to be on call at night and provide evening and morning check-ins.
And – are you an organized, multi-tasker comfortable with video conferencing, google calendar, email,fax and phoning? We are also looking for a support worker who lives on Vancouver Island who will work an additional 5 to 10 hours per week from home being our communication hub and scheduler. This involves:
- Checking in with the individual each morning Monday to Friday by video conferencing for an overview of the day.
- Providing solution-focused support to address changes in plans.
- Communicating with board members, other support workers, service providers, handidart, the taxi etc as needed.
- Providing administrative support such as scheduling appointments and transportation; arranging for substitute support workers and keeping our shared google calendar up to date.
Please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, November 11 with a cover-email stating your interests in and qualifications for this opportunity. Please attach your resume.