Job Title: Visual Language Interpreter
• Cedars Christian School is seeking a full time Visual Language Interpreter, beginning September 2016, to work with a grade 8 student who is Deaf/Hard of Hearing and is fully mainstreamed in our school community.
Place: Cedars Christian School – Prince George, BC
Hours of Work: 6.5 hours per day between 8:15 am – 3:15 pm.
Months per year: 10 (September – June)
Rate of pay: Based on the Society of Christian Schools in BC (SCSBC) guidelines. Employee benefit package included.
Starting Date: September 2016
End Date: June 2017 (with the potential for an ongoing contract)
Position Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide interpreting for a student who is Deaf/Hard of Hearing
• Participate in educational team meetings, including the development and review of progress on the Individual Education Plan, as well as providing insight on the success of communication strategies
• Participate in regular consultation with the classroom teacher(s) regarding upcoming assignments, topics of study, and helpful strategies and adaptations
• Preparation for classroom interpreting (familiarization with vocabulary and concepts)
• The interpreter will report to the Director of Educational Support Services and the High School Vice-Principal.
• Member of AVLIC (Association of Visual Language Interpreters of Canada)
• Documented evidence of training in ASL or graduation from a recognized ASL-English interpreter program (AEIP)
• Ability to interpret, as demonstrated to a screening committee
• Fluency in English and American Sign Language (ASL)
• Knowledge and understanding of Deaf culture
• Experience in educational interpreting would be an asset
• Ability to abide by the Cedars Christian School community standards covenant
Cedars is a non-denominational, K-12, Christian independent school.
Our Mission: Educating and equipping discerning disciples of Jesus Christ for restorative work in His kingdom.
The ideal candidate will be a professional, energetic and enthusiastic individual with excellent interpersonal and communication skills in both ASL and English. He/she will be working as part of the staff team for the success of the student with the hearing impairment. This person is required to incorporate and support the vision of our school for this student through interpretation.
Please submit your resume, a summary of your understanding of the Christian faith and the names of three references, preferably one reference from a member of the Deaf community to:
Mr. Shane Nelson
High School Vice-Principal
Cedars Christian School
701 North Nechako Road
Prince George, BC
Closing Date: Until Filled.